SINGLE TOUCH PAYROLL (STP)
If you run a business and employ staff, then you will be required as of 1 July 2019 to comply with the Single Touch Payroll rules.
PRIVATE USE OF BUSINESS CARS
It is fundamental that a car fringe benefit occurs when a business owns or leases a car and makes it available for their employees’ private travel. Don’t forget, business directors are also employees.
Private use of a company car includes:
- Employees using the car for private travel, such as travel between work and home
- Garaging the car at or near an employees’ home and making it available for private use-Even if the car is not used by the employee
ESTABLISHING A CONTRACTUAL RELATIONSHIP
Before you decide to hire an employee, you conduct reference checks to determine their suitability to perform the role. Hiring a contractor requires a similar process.
- Licensing and legal requirements
- Ask for references and work examples
- Be aware of anything out of the ordinary